Saved from a Head-On Collision

April 1995, I was in the Air Force stationed in Louisiana. My step-dad had passed away during open heart surgery the day before his birthday, so I took emergency leave and went to Florida for what I thought would be his funeral. Upon my arrival home, I found out that his wish was to be cremated. This was difficult for me to adjust to under the circumstances, as I thought there would be an actual funeral. What it actually was, was a get together with his family and friends at the VFW to honor his life.
After the service, I flew back to Louisiana only to find that I while I was away, I had received orders to Sheppard AFB, Texas. I was notified that I was "non-volunteered" to take an assignment as an F-16 weapons instructor. I tried numerous ways to get out of this assignment (due to my fear of talking in front of people, and I was still coping with my dad’s passing), but to no avail. I brought my wife and daughter there to show them the area, which they assuredly said they could not live there. I couldn't blame them, as it was such a desolate place and didn't offer the amenities we were hoping for.
I was told I either had to take this job or I would not be eligible to re-enlist. Because I already had 12 years in the service, we thought it would be beneficial that I take this assignment alone. Besides, the distance was only six hours from where we lived in Shreveport and I would be able to drive home on weekends. I did this for five years, and only missed going home a very few weekends because of heavy snow.
I always kept my windows closed and provided him the comfort of the air conditioning. Upon opening his door he would jump up to the front seat, lie in my lap, and sleep for the rest of the ride home. He performed this ritual on every trip.Due to the loneliness of my apartment, I decided I needed some company, so I enlisted the companionship of my 20 lb. black and white cat, Tux. I think Tux enjoyed these trips as much as I enjoyed having him with me. I would keep him in his carrier set safely in the back seat. When we would get out to the highway, he would meow, letting me know he was bored and ready to come out of his cage.
I taught my classes on T-shift, which was from 4 p.m. to midnight. I got off work one Friday night, went back to my apartment, and, as I always did, had a few cups of coffee before starting my trip home.
Although it was raining this night, I decided to leave around 1 a.m. This would get me into Shreveport around 7 a.m. I made the boring trip down 287 and arrived in Dallas around 3 a.m. As I was driving on US 635 eastbound, the rain was pouring down so hard that it was difficult to see the road ahead. To be on the safe side, I decided to slow down to about 35 mph.
A few minutes down the highway, I looked in my rear view mirror to see two vehicles racing up behind me at a fast rate of speed. As I looked ahead at the road, I could see the steady stream of water crossing the highway. As the cars were getting closer, they split, one passing me on the left, the other on the right. As they passed in front of me, both cars hit the rushing water as they drove under the overpass.
In an instant, both of the cars went into a half-spin and collided ahead of me. The next thing I saw, I was heading directly into four headlights in my lane. I braced the steering wheel so hard, and with no time to avoid an accident, I awaited the impact. (I found out later that I actually bent the steering wheel.)
I was about 20 feet from the cars still in my lane when I felt an unfamiliar peaceful calm rush over me, and at that point time seemed as though it was going in slow motion. I felt as though someone else had taken over the control of my vehicle. As I headed toward the cars in my lane, I saw them start to separate as I drew closer. I watched in amazement as I drove between them. In slow motion I saw the one on my left and the one on my right go by me not inches away in the wrong direction on the highway. I also saw Tux still sleeping in my lap.
As I passed between them, I heard a pop. This sound seemed to have come from my front right tire after I drove across something in the road. I was back in control of my car again and pulled over to the side of the highway under the next overpass to find that I now had an almost flat tire.
I sat there for a few minutes thinking about what just happened and came to the realization that someone was watching over me and just saved me from an impending accident. Was it my step-dad? I won’t know until the day comes that I am able to ask him. Was it Tux, my friend, sleeping in my lap, not seeming concerned with what was happening? Only God knows. What I do know is I shouldn't have felt as calm as I did. I was not driving the vehicle, and I should have hit both cars head on.

Previous
Next Post »
Thanks for your comment