Chapter 15: Eyeless Jack

 I felt my cheeks heat as we turned to face the eyeless boy, He stood there, staring at us, an amused expression leaking through his mask. His hands were on his hips. "So?" He pressed. I felt Jeff sigh beside me. "You remember the girl I was torturing? Yeah, well I fell in love with her, then left her so I couldn't her anymore which was a mistake because she went insane and started to kill people. There's your explanation." He smirked and pulled me inside the house, pushing past the confused Jack. "Well, that went well I think." I chirped. I felt Jeff vibrate from laughter next to me.
        We stayed quiet as he guided me down long, white halls to the unknown. I marveled at the architecture, I always wanted to design things for clothes or furniture when I was older. I sighed and frowned as I remembered something.

*5 Years Ago*

"Hey mom! I'm home! I drew another picture today." My twelve year self skipped into the kitchen where my pregnant mother was washing dishes. She turned and greeted me with a smile. We usually hug, but her 8 month belly got in the way. She dried her hands on a near by towel and wobbled over to me and kissed my head. "That's great baby girl. Can I see?" I eagerly nodded and plopped down, putting my bag on the wooden table. I unzipped my poka-dotted backpack and pulled out my sketchbook. Smiling broadly, I flipped to the correct page and held it up for her to see.

"It's called, 'I Can Feel Butterflies'."  I was beaming up at my mother. She smiled as tears brimmed her eyes. My smile faded as I noticed the tears. "Is it really that bad?" She shook her head violently and put down the book. Her eyes stared into mine. "I'm so proud to have such an amazing artist daughter." My smile returned. I hugged her tightly and she welcomed the embrace.

****

        I just noticed the bloody tears leaking down my face. I sniffled and Jeff turned, confused. When he say my expression, his became worried. He grabbed my by my shoulder and brushed hair from my face. "Baby! What's the matter?!?" His voice urgent. I dropped my head and wiped my nose. "I miss my family. And my life. I just want to be Carter Lewis again." I felt him tense and sigh. He cupped my chin and brought my gaze to meet his. "I'm so sorry I got you into this mess. I wish I could just take it all back..." He dropped his hands and sat down, leaning against the wall. I sat next to him and put my head on his shoulder. "I miss him all the time." My eyebrows furrowed and I looked at him questionably. "Who? The old Jeff?" He didn't look at me. He let out a breath and tightened his fists.

"No...I miss Liu."

Previous
Next Post »
Thanks for your comment